parthasarathi temple old picture
Photograph of the Parthasarathi Temple, at Madras (Chennai), Tamil Nadu, taken by Frederick Fiebig in c.1851. The temple is one of two large temple complexes in the city and is situated in Triplicane. It dates from the 17th century and is a celebrated sanctuary dedicated to the worship of the Hindu deity, Vishnu as Parthasarathi. This is a general view looking across the temple tank towards the east entrance, which takes the form of a gopura, a gateway surmounted by an elaborately carved tower. This is a characteristic structure of south Indian temple architectures.